History and Values
Voice of Calvary Ministries (VOCM) was founded in 1975 by Dr. John M. Perkins, to address issues of poverty, injustice and racism in Jackson, MS. Since then VOCM has grown to be a multifaceted organization that assists people across the state. We believe the good news which Jesus proclaimed includes spiritual transformation as well as reaching one’s full potential economically, physically, and socially. We also believe that transformed individuals help to transform their communities.
Our mission : Changing the Narrative (Reaching our full potential in Christ)
- We are committed to proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- We will offer our services to all without respect to creed, race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, or age.
- We are called by God to serve the poor and disadvantaged.
- We will act with high ethical and moral standards at all times.
- We will handle all of the resources entrusted to us by God and our supporters with responsibility and integrity at all times.
- We will take every opportunity to collaborate with other community groups, formal and informal, because we believe that we can accomplish more working together than as separate entities.
- We will share freely the creation of wealth, which we are able to achieve as an organization, because we believe real change occurs when the people themselves own the work.
- We believe that our goal is to empower the community, not just to provide products and services, because we believe that local community leadership has the capacity and abilities to improve conditions in their communities.
- We will take a stand at all times for racial reconciliation.
- We will develop well-defined measures to document effectiveness for the long term sustainability of our organization.