Voice of Calvary Ministries (VOCM) was founded in 1975 by Dr. John M. Perkins. VOCM takes as its mission the words that Jesus quoted at the inauguration of His earthly ministry when he read from Isaiah 61:1-2:
“The spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners, and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19)
We believe that the good news which Jesus proclaims includes spiritual transformation, but also includes reaching one’s full potential economically, physically, and socially so that one does not remain poor. Beyond that, we believe that transformed individuals should work to transform their communities. Verse 4 of Isaiah 61 from which Jesus reads says:
“They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.”
Our mission statement for VOCM is therefore Rebuilding Lives and Communities through the Gospel. Since 1975 we have:
- Served more than 3,000 youth from ages 3-21 in our youth programs.
- Rehabilitated more than 250 houses for home ownership primarily for persons of low to moderate income.
- Recruited over 30,000 volunteers from diverse cultural, ethnic and racial backgrounds to live among, serve and worship with the residents in west Jackson.
- Built a 16-unit new housing development Victory Park in McComb, Miss., for victims of Hurricane Katrina.
- Established Claiborne Park, a 16-acre park in our inner city target area in west Jackson.
- Rehabbed 37 houses in south Jackson with funding from HUD’s Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) funds through the City of Jackson and the Mississippi Development Authority.
- Established the Voice of Calvary Family Health Center to provide quality, affordable health care to those without access to adequate health care.
- Organized 22 local churches into the Fellowship of Hope, a group which was instrumental in developing the Hope Community Credit Union.
- Assisted in the establishment of nine local faith and community-based organizations.